Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Your Lucky Day

Jesus Christ.

The snow was sticking to my front window faster than the god damn wipers could get rid of it. Plastic pieces of shit. At least, or I hoped at least, the neaty covered roads would clear up a little bit, I was driving just a bit too fast. Frustration began to set in miles back. Astonishment, fear and and a hyped up sense of reality soon followed. Then there was me; right now, driving as the sky shit out as much possible snow as it could've on a special day like this.

I didn't really intend for this to happen this morning when I rolled out of bed. It just sort-of, skidded off the road and came back at me, if you know what I mean. Actually you probably don't. I wouldn't recommend you do.

It came slow. The overcast sky seemed even more suffocating on this particular afternoon. My mind had been recklessly wandering all day and I couldn't tell you that I had any of this in mind. I was driving to see her. It had been awhile. The last thing I wanted to do was make the same mistake as before.

I left midday, realizing that the weather had not been privy to my urgent need to drive. The freeway was full of its usuals; the rager, the mom, the kids on a trip, all stoned faced and intent on what they were doing. I felt sorry for them. You can read a persons inside so well by watching them drive. Faces blank and void of emotion. They are like dots of paint, behind a blue/silver frame and tinted glass. They dont move and rarely change. We'll call those "the gone", because they are. Theres nothing left, they know what they want, they usually get it and then die miserable, realizing they wasted their entire life savings on a fucking twenty-four karat gold bath towel holder.

The rager's, they were something. Always rushing to get where they need to be, an hour ago. Its perfectly acceptable to endanger those other assholes on the road. They are just getting in the way. Flying around in two thousand pound death machines, it was the ultimate orgasm. Holding hostage the road, God like in their demeanor. They begin to think that everyone is either with them or against. They bring it home. Past the exit signs, the drive-ways, the bathroom's, the skulls and finally; the heart. They begin to feel God raging inside of their veins and a power much greater than their misery has ever afforded.

The mom's. They would do anything to save the life of their miserable passengers, even if it included killing them. Almost running themselves into a ditch because of a paper McDonalds bag flying around in the goddamn wind. Why were these people so scared? Was it the rager's, weaving in and out through their solid steel fortress's? Were they the gone? Never realizing what was actually happening around them? They are horrified. Horrified that they would all have to go down with the ship. Horrified that sooner than later, someone would interrupt the party.

Today there was also someone different on the road. Slowly the sky began to glow white. It was all so gradual. They entered in front of me. A tank of the road. Massive in size, it could easily crush the mom's, the rager's, even the gone. Unable to be defeated. Unable to loose.

Then there was me. I was just a bystander, watching it all happen before me. Soon the sky began to fill. It all happened at once.

The rager felt God. He sliced through the covered road way. The rush.
The mom smelt the scent of death in the air. The panic.
The gone felt nothing. The apathy.
The tank felt its walls collapse. The defeat.
The rager slid under the tank, like a Great White circling the boat.
The tank began to split.
The mom panicked, twisting the wheel. All aboard, we're going down. Her indestructible fortress turned upside down. She was saving them.
The gone seemed to take it all in stride. They stayed on direct course, unflinching. Soon they were filling the air. A speck of green amongst the sea of white.

I slid to a stop and opened my door. I don't know what came over me. I looked around, there was no one for miles. No one was stupid enough to be in this situation. Fate couldn't even bring them here, right now. I took a few steps forward. All I could hear was a blistering wind and the snow moving to make room for my steps.

They were all dead. I was sure of it now. Body's mingled in a strange fitting sort of way. The mom was peaceful now. The rager was sprawled in a Christ pose, slowing staining the ground under him with blood. The gone were gone. A piece here and there, but not whole. Fitting, because they weren't whole to begin with. At last I stumbled upon the armored car. The driver and passenger were hanging out the front window. A McDonald's cup slowly rolled to my feet.
What a way to go.
I could smell gas burning, I knew it wouldn't be long before something happened to our innocent bystander. I turned to gather my thoughts when something caught my eye.

"No shit..."
I front of my eyes, a sea of green began to roll out of the tank. Money. Stacks of sweet sweet paper were blowing by me. I had a decision to make. I guess I made the wrong one.
Thats what brings us back to right now. My hands invisibly stained green, a pure white sky and red and blue sirens approaching from behind me.

I should've seen this one coming.

No comments: